Summer is synonymous with sizzling barbecues, vibrant outdoor gatherings, and mouthwatering dishes fresh off the grill. Among the many culinary delights that come to mind, one category stands out for its versatility, flavour, and sheer delight: beef kebabs. Whether you’re hosting a family dinner, a casual get-together with friends, or celebrating the footy finals season, these BBQ beef skewers are a winning choice that’s delicious and easy to prepare.
Kebab Recipes: A Feast for the Senses
Kebabs are the unsung heroes of summer grilling. They offer a perfect blend of flavours and are incredibly versatile. Whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, a picnic in the park, or a beachside bonanza, kebabs are a crowd-pleaser that can be easily customised to suit everyone’s tastes. Plus, they make fantastic finger food, allowing guests to mingle and enjoy the festivities without formal dining.
Grass-Fed Beef Kebabs: A Summertime Sensation
High-quality, grass-fed beef is the key to crafting delightful and nutritious kebabs. Unlike conventionally raised beef, grass-fed beef is leaner, richer in nutrients, and boasts a more robust flavour profile.
Using grass-fed beef for your kebabs isn’t just about flavour; it’s about making a conscious choice for your health and the environment.
Moreover, it supports sustainable farming practices, promoting paddock-to-plate eating. When you opt for grass-fed beef, you’re not just enjoying a tasty meal but contributing to a healthier planet.
Let’s get to the heart of the matter — those mouthwatering beef skewer recipes that will steal the show at your next summer gathering.
Cypriot-Style Beef Kebabs: A Mediterranean Delight
Transport your taste buds to the sun-soaked shores of Cyprus with these mouthwatering Cypriot-style beef kebabs. Marinated to perfection and threaded onto skewers, these kebabs are a delightful blend of Mediterranean flavours. The combination of grass-fed beef and aromatic spices ensures a kebab that’s both succulent and savoury.
Cypriot-style Beef Kebabs
- Preparation: 25 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 h 10 min
- 800 g Beef rump (trimmed)
- 250 g Haloumi
- 3 Capsicum, yellow, red and green
- 12 Button mushrooms
- Olive oil (for brushing)
Brown rice and lentil salad
- Prepare beef skewers. Cut beef, haloumi and capsicum into 3 cm pieces and thread onto skewers with mushrooms. Reserve 1 cup finely diced capsicum for the salad. Brush skewers lightly with oil and set aside.
- Place brown rice in a small saucepan and add 4 cups of water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook rice for 25 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl.
- Finely zest and juice one orange into a bowl and combine with oil, salt and pepper, and half the mint leaves, finely chopped. Whisk to combine the dressing and pour half of it over rice and lentils with the vinegar. Reserve other half for brushing the skewers. Top rice mixture with capsicum, celery, raisins and remaining mint leaves. Segment the remaining orange into the bowl and toss to combine.
- Heat a BBQ grill. Cook skewers on each side until golden and cooked to your liking, about 15 minutes for medium. Baste with the reserved dressing as you go. Serve with rice and lentil salad.
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 10 minutes before using so they don’t catch alight while cooking.
- Cut beef and vegetables to the same size so they cook evenly
- Cook rice in a rice cooker as an easy alternative. Use 1 cup of rinsed rice to 2 cups water.
Switch to make
Greek beef skewers-swap mint for oregano and orange for lemon and add feta to the rice salad.
Beef, Mushroom and Oyster Sauce Kebabs: Umami Explosion
Try the Beef, Mushroom and Oyster Sauce Kebabs for a fusion of flavours that will have you reaching for seconds. This recipe combines the rich umami of oyster sauce with the earthy goodness of mushrooms, all threaded onto skewers with tender grass-fed beef. It’s a mouthwatering combination perfect for those who crave a unique twist on traditional kebabs.
Beef, Mushroom And Oyster Sauce Kebabs
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- 600 g Diced beef (cut into 3cm cubes)
- 150 g Button mushrooms
- 2 Green onions (cut into 3cm lengths + extra, thinly sliced, to serve)
- 1 Red capsicum (cut into 3cm pieces)
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Oyster sauce
- Asian greens, brown rice, coriander sprigs, sliced chilli (optional) (to serve)
- 8 Bamboo ((soaked in water for 10 minutes) or metal skewers for this recipe)
- Thread the beef, mushrooms, onions and capsicum alternatively onto the skewers. Brush skewers with oil and oyster sauce and season.
- Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat. Cook kebabs for 8-10 minutes, turning often, or until lightly charred and cooked through. Rest on a plate loosely covered with foil for 5 minutes.
- Serve beef kebabs with Asian greens, rice, coriander, extra green onions and chilli, if desired.
- You can dice your own beef using rump, sirloin, scotch fillet or eye fillet.
- Resting the kebabs ensures maximum tenderness and locks the juices into the beef.
- You could also use beef mince in this recipe – roll mince into balls or kofta shapes.
- Use microwave rice of your choice to save time.
- Leftover kebabs can be removed from the skewer and added to a salad or wrap for a delicious lunch.
Argentinian Kebabs: South American Sizzle
Transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of Buenos Aires with Argentinian kebabs. This recipe pays homage to Argentina’s rich grilling traditions, featuring succulent grass-fed beef, chimichurri sauce, and a tantalising blend of spices. These kebabs bring a South American flair to your BBQ, making them a hit among meat lovers and adding an international twist to your summer gatherings.
- Preparation: 40 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 h 10 min
- 750 g Rump steak (cubed)
- ½ cup White vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- ¼ Brown onion (grated)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp Dried mixed herbs
- 1 ½ tsp Ground cumin
- 2–3 Capsicums (cut into 3 cm pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
- ½ cup Firmly packed parsley leaves (finely chopped)
- ¼ Brown onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ small Red capsicum, or 2 long red chillies, (finely chopped)
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- To make the chimichurri, combine all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients (white vinegar through to cumin) in a large zip-top bag or ceramic dish. Add beef, stir to coat, and marinate for 30 mins.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Thread meat onto skewers, alternating a piece of capsicum between each piece of beef, and season with salt and pepper. Preheat BBQ or a heavy-based pan to high. Cook skewers, turning to sear all sides, for 4–5 mins.
- Cut corn kernels off the cob. Combine corn, roasted sweet potato, and rocket on a large platter. Drizzle over 1–2 tbsp chimichurri sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve beef skewers with salad and chimichurri.
- To roast sweet potatoes, toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper and bake for 25 mins at 180°C. Alternatively, cook on the BBQ, over medium-low heat, until tender.
Moroccan Kebabs with Red Cabbage Slaw: Exotic Elegance
Add colour and flavour to your BBQ spread with our Moroccan-inspired kebabs. The combination of grass-fed beef, aromatic spices, and a zesty red cabbage slaw creates a visually stunning dish that’s as delightful to the eyes as it is to the palate. The exotic blend of flavours in these kebabs will transport your taste buds to the bustling markets of Marrakech.
Moroccan Kebabs With Red Cabbage Slaw
- Preparation: 45 min
- Cooking: 10 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- 800 g Rump steak (diced into 2–3 cm pieces)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- ¼ cup Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Moroccan spice mix
- Salt & pepper
Red Cabbage Salad
- Combine diced steak and marinade ingredients in a large bowl or zip-top bag. Leave to marinate for 30 mins.
- To make the salad, whisk together oil, vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper in another large bowl. Add cabbage and onion and stir to coat well with dressing. Toss through tomatoes, cucumber, and mint just before serving.
- Thread marinated meat onto skewers and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Pre-heat BBQ or a large heavy-based skillet to medium-high.
- Cook skewers 4–5 mins, turning to sear all sides. Transfer to a clean plate and cover loosely with foil and rest for 5 mins.
- Serve skewers with warmed Lebanese bread, dips, and cabbage salad.
Summer BBQs and Footy Finals — A Perfect Match
The footy finals season brings excitement and camaraderie, and what better way to celebrate than with a summer BBQ? Whether cheering for your favourite team or enjoying the warm weather, BBQ kebabs are the ideal party food. They’re easy to prepare, cook quickly on the grill, and can be customised to suit various tastes and dietary preferences.
Sizzle Your Summer with BBQ Kebabs
As you gear up for summer entertaining and the footy finals season, remember that an excellent BBQ kebab not only satisfies your taste buds but also aligns with your values. Grass-fed beef kebabs, whether inspired by the Mediterranean, Argentina, or Morocco, offer a delightful culinary experience packed with nutritional benefits. Moreover, choosing ethically produced beef and embracing paddock-to-plate eating positively impacts the environment and animal welfare.
So, place your orders this week and prepare to savour the taste of ethical, nutritious, and scrumptious grass-fed beef kebabs this summer.