Treat yourself to a classic American recipe that’s oozing with flavour. Our three beef sandwich recipes may have humble origins but each represents a sought-after iconic American dish, renowned the world over for its enticing texture and taste.
OK, so beef sandwiches dripping with juices, cheese and other additions may not spring to mind as the most healthy snack option… but indulging once in a while will do you no harm!
In fact, good quality beef is packed full of B vitamins, minerals and, of course, protein, so it’s sure to satisfy any hunger while dosing you up with good nutrients too.
The origins of the classic American sandwich
Each of our recipes is a variation of what has now become a classic American dish.
Beef sandwiches, such as the ones in our suggested recipes, are believed to have originated at the beginning of the 20th century in cities — like Chicago and Philadelphia — with significant immigrant communities, notably Italians.
To make the most of what was available, they would slow roast the cheaper but tough cuts of meat in broth to make them more palatable and serve them on bread with additions like cheese and pickled vegetables.
The meat would be thinly sliced to enable it to go further.
From simple beginnings, the beef sandwich has now become a classic dish that is loved the world over.
Choose ethically produced beef
And when you buy ethically produced beef from Provenir, you can ditch any guilt that comes from opting for meat dishes.
Our grass-fed and finished beef means exactly what the name suggests — that our animals have been fed only grass in the most natural environment possible.
Because the cows are free to roam and graze outdoors, just as they would in the wild, they are living with less stress and to the highest welfare standards.
This is in contrast to grain-fed animals that are reared in confined spaces and injected with hormones to promote rapid growth and antibiotics to counter diseases that spread quickly in restricted pens.
It’s also been established that grass-fed beef contains higher levels of vitamins A and E and some antioxidants. In addition, it is less fatty (1), so it’s the healthiest way of eating this delicious meat.
Philly cheesesteak recipe
There’s no end to the flavour that’s bursting out of this classic sandwich that originated on the East Coast. Thinly sliced ribeye steak, mouthwatering caramelised onion and provolone cheese combine in a toasted garlicky hoagie roll to create a taste that’s out of this world.
- Preparation: 18 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Ready in: 33 min
- 1 Provenir Ribeye Steak (trimmed and thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or to taste)
- 1 or to taste Pepper (or to taste)
- 1 large Brown onion (diced or sliced)
- 1 medium Capsicum (green) (diced or sliced)
- 10 Provolone cheese (mild (not aged provolone))
- 6 White Bread Rolls (Sliced 3/4 through)
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2-3 tablespoons Mayonnaise (or to taste)
- Slice White Bread Rolls 3/4 of the way through with a serrated knife. Dice onions and thinly slice beef.*
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons softened butter with 2 pressed garlic clove. Spread garlic butter onto the cut sides of 4 hoagie roll. Toast the rolls on a large skillet, flat cooktop or griddle on medium heat until golden brown then set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to your pan/cooktop and sautee diced onions until caramelized then transfer to a bowl.
- Increase to high heat and add 1 tablespoons oil. Spread the super thinly sliced steak in an even layer. Let brown for a couple of minutes undisturbed then flip and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Sautee until steak is fully cooked through then stir in the caramelized onions.
- Divide into 6 even portions and top each with 2 slices of cheese and turn off the heat so the cheese will melt without overcooking the meat.
- Spread a thin layer of mayo on the toasted side of each roll. Working with one portion at a time, place a toasted bun over each portion and use a spatula to scrape the cheesy beef into your bun as you flip it over. Serve warm.
*For easier slicing, cover and freeze your steak for 20 minutes
Classic Chicago Italian beef sandwich recipe done at home
This melt-in-your-mouth sandwich features thin, slow-roasted beef drenched in flavoursome stock with sauteed peppers in fluffy Italian bread rolls. The result is a delicious and filling snack that is as good as a full-blown meal for keeping the hunger pangs at bay.
Provenir broth makes this recipe extra special. It’s made by cooking beef bones for a total of 16 hours to extract an intense flavour and many nutrients. It’s in line with our “nose to tail” philosophy, which means that no part of an animal should go to waste.
Authentic Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich Recipe
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 2 h
- Ready in: 2 h 20 min
- 1.5 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 0.5 teaspoon Paprika
- Mix the rub together in a bowl, then coat the meat lightly with water to help the rub stick, sprinkle it generously on the meat, and massage it in. There will be some left over. Do not discard it, it can be added to the juice later in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 110°C
- Pour the Provenir bone broth and hot water into a large baking pan and place it between two racks in oven. We are going to add the beef straight on to the rack above the baking pan. So rack that sits above the pan needs to be a close as possible to pan. Place the roast on top of the rack above the baking tray with the bone broth mixture . Roast at 110°C. until interior temperature is about 55 – 60°C for medium rare, about 3 hours. This may seem long, but you are cooking over water and that slows things down.
- While the beef is roasting cut the capsicum in half and remove the stems and seeds. Rinse, and cut into 1/4" strips. Cook the capsicum in a frying pan over a medium high heat with enough olive oil to coat the bottom, about 2 tablespoons. When they are getting limp and the skins begin to brown, about 15 minutes, they are done. Set aside at room temp.
- Remove the roast and the bone broth mixture pan from the oven. Take the meat and the rack off the pan, drain the bone broth mixture from the pan into a pot. Add the meat on the pan and place it in the refrigerator. Let it cool for a few hours, long enough for the meat to firm up. This will make slicing easier.
- Slice all the meat against the grain as thin as humanly possible.
- Reheat the bone broth mixture from the pan in a pot on the stove hot to a gently simmer.
- Slice the rolls lengthwise but leave them hinged on one side
- To assemble the sandwich/roll, start by spooning some juice directly onto the bread.
- Soak the beef slices in the bone broth mixture on the stovetop for about 1 minute at a low simmer.
- Then lay on the beef generously. Spoon on more juice.
- Top it with bell peppers and hot spicy giardiniera.
- Pour some extra juices on top, then serve.
Reuben sandwich with homemade Russian dressing
You’ll love this combination of corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut drizzled with Russian dressing and stuffed between slices of grilled rye bread. It’s a satisfying combo that can be enjoyed hot or cold… though we would most definitely recommend it hot for the extra layer of deliciousness it provides.
Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 5 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- 230 gram Corned beef
- ½ teaspoon Olive oil
- 6 slices Bread (Of your choice)
- 2 tablespoon Unsalted butter (room temp)
- ½ cup Sauerkraut
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the Russian Dressing, set aside.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add the meat and cook just until heated.
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the bread (butter side down) on a plate.
- Spread the dressing, top with the meat, cheese and sour kraut. Close bread slices to create a sandwich.
- In a hot skillet, cook sandwiches over medium heat 4-6 minutes, flipping once. Cook until cheese melts and the bread is crispy.
- Serve with hot chips
Grass-fed beef delivered to your door
For grass-fed meat delivery straight to your door, try Provenir.
We pride ourselves on our mission to provide the best grass-fed beef online that’s not only free-range and of the highest quality but also produced to the highest welfare standards.
We deliver grass-fed beef to Melbourne and other areas in eastern Australia, so you can enjoy the Provenir difference in all your recipes.
So for grass-fed beef in Sydney and grass-fed beef in Brisbane, simply check your postcode to know if we deliver to your area and start indulging your tastebuds with our delicious classic American beef recipes.
1. Healthline website, ‘Grass-Fed vs. Grain-Fed Beef — What’s the Difference?, 4 December 2019.